News Politics

Labour Party suspends Osun chairman for alleged N34 million fraud

Peter Obi

Adebayo Bello, chairman of Labour Party In Osun, has been suspended for alleged misappropriation of N34 million fund.

The politician said he only received N300,000.

Mr Bello was suspended by members of the executive of ward 12 of the party led by Hammed Sheriff, at a news conference, on Tuesday. 

Addressing journalists in Osogbo, Mr Sheriff alleged that the misappropriated fund was to campaign for Peter Obi in the February 2023 presidential election. 

“I, Hammed Sheriff, being the chairman of ward 12 Osogbo Local Government and having seven of the executive with me making a two third of the Exco and having found Bello Adebayo guilty of Article 19 (1b) subsections 2,4, 5 and Article 19 (2b) subsections 3, hereby suspended him as a member of the Labour Party in the ward,” Mr Sheriff stated.

He added, “For example, The funds meant for media consultancy amounting to about N4 million given to Bello was not released for the purpose it was meant for.”

Mr Sheriff explained that “unfortunately, the Osun LPPCC allowed Bello to dupe them the second time. Having given himself a very bad reputation among the Obidients, Candidates and Party leaders, he had to rely on the goodwill of LPPCC to get people/polling unit agents to submit Form EC8A after the elections. And before the LPPCC decided to work with him, he promised that those who submitted these forms would be compensated.”

Mr Sheriff also mentioned that “after submission, he was thereafter given N30 million to pay polling unit agents that submitted Forms EC8A. Now the leaders of LPPCC are being chased around by those who submitted these. Forms, while Bello had collected and cornered their funds.”

The ward leader also accused Mr Bello of failing to attend ward meetings of the party without any permission, arguing that the embattled Chairman had earlier been suspended by the Bauchi NEC executive. 

In his reaction, Mr Bello said his suspension by the wards executive could not stand, noting that those who suspended him no locus standing to do so. 

He denied the embezzlement allegations.

“With regards to funds, I am not aware of any N34 million, the only fund I received was N300,000 sent by Akin Osuntokun and it is verifiable. I am not aware of any funds during the presidential campaign rally in the state,” Mr Bello revealed.

Source: Peoples Gazette

Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended. All rights and credits reserved to respective owner(s).

Leave a Reply