Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Candidate for the 2023 elections, Atiku Abubakar, says the ball is now in the court of the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, and his camp over the lingering crisis in the party. Atiku said this at a town hall Channels Television organised in Abuja on Sunday night.
2. Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State has said all aggrieved parties, including his five colleagues led by Governor Nyesom Wike, would be brought on board to work for the Peoples Democratic Party’s victory in 2023. He spoke after meeting with the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, in Makurdi.
3. Amnesty International Nigeria has raised the alarm that the military attacked residents of Bodo in the Gokana Local Government Area of Rivers State. In a statement on Sunday, the organisation described the alleged attack as a clear violation of Nigeria’s obligation under international human rights law and international conventions to which it has subscribed.
4. The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has promised that his administration will revive the manufacturing sector and diversify the economy for the benefit of everyone. Tinubu stated this during a town hall meeting with Muslim leaders from the South West in Ibadan, Oyo State.
5. The presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, has lamented the degradation of the status of Ibadan city, promising to reinstate the glory if elected president next year. According to a statement on Sunday by his campaign council, Obi spoke during a courtesy visit to the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Olalekan Balogun, on Saturday.
6. Goods estimated at millions of naira have been destroyed after fire gutted some shops at Ogbo Osisi, a timber market in Onitsha, Anambra State. It was gathered that the incident happened late on Saturday, and about 28 large shops jointly shared the premises.
7. The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said its operatives at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos, have intercepted parcels of cocaine concealed in different parts of a travel bag brought into Nigeria by Nwadinobi Charles Uchemadu, a returnee from Sao Paulo, Brazil via Doha, on a Qatar Airways flight.
8. The Kogi Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has confirmed that six persons died while 25 others sustained injuries on Saturday in an accident on Okene-Ogori road. Mr Stephen Dawulung, the Sector Commander, yesterday, in Lokoja, disclosed that the lone accident involved an articulated vehicle loaded with 45 persons and cows.
9. Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has told those who said Nigeria is not ripe for a Muslim-Muslim ticket not to also justify and embrace efforts by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to retain the presidency in the North. He spoke yesterday, at the special dedication service for the Rivers State PDP 2023 General Election Campaigns Rallies, at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Port Harcourt.
10. The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, has said he did not understand the Boko Haram phenomenon, lamenting that despite the efforts of the Nigerian Army, the insurgency had not been eliminated.
Atiku stated this on Sunday during the People’s Town Hall 2023 series aired on TV yesterday.
Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Monday morning