Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Some persons suspected to be terrorists causing havoc in parts of the country have been reportedly arrested in Lagos State. According to reports, the suspects, who were clad in military camouflage and other accouterments, were nabbed in different parts of the State.
2. The Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, yesterday, said the military has killed many bandits’ leaders amid the recent Abuja-Kaduna train attack in the country. Irabor stated this on Tuesday during a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja.
3. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has denied reports that it succumbed to pressure from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) by backdating documents to recognise Senate President Ahmad Lawan, and former Akwa Ibom State governor, Godswill Akpabio as senatorial candidates.
4. Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has said effective leadership is not about political party, stressing that without the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, he can still perform well. Wike said this at the inauguration of the dualised Ogbunuabali-Eastern Bypass Road that was performed by an All Progressives Congress (APC) Chieftain, Senator Aliyu Wamakko, on Tuesday.
5. The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor has said that security operatives have arrested the suspected killers of worshippers at St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State. Speaking at a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja on Tuesday, Irabor said the suspects would be paraded after the conclusion of investigation.
6. The crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, may not abate soon as indications emerged yesterday that the leadership of the party appears to be dilly-dallying with the request made by Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, a situation that has led to a standoff between opposing camps in the party.
7. President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday in Abuja said Nigeria has gone through all troubles from January 15,1966, to date which resulted in the killing of a million of the citizenry in order to keep the country together. He said the self-centeredness that led to the loss of about a million lives between 1967 and1970 must not be allowed to repeat itself.
8. Convener of Big Tent of Political Parties in Nigeria, Prof. Pat Utomi, yesterday charged the citizens of the country that a new prosperous Nigeria was achievable in 2023. He said the country would become prosperous through some of the insightful initiatives the movement intended to roll out in a matter of weeks, including ‘Listening Clinics’ initiative.
9. The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has said that some people mocked him when he lost his biological son last year. He stated this on Tuesday night during the ongoing 70th Annual Convention of the church along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
10. Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Lagos State Special Offences Court sitting at Ikeja, on Tuesday, sentenced a pastor, Erinmole Adetokunbo, and his accomplice, Adedoyin Oyekanmi, to death for killing a seven-year-old boy in the Ikorodu area of the State. Justice Taiwo gave the verdict after the defendants changed their pleas from not guilty to guilty.
Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Wednesday morning